Project “Circular South”
Circular South combines a series of district bound experimental initiatives that will bring into urban practice the circular economy. Spreading awareness and encouraging citizens to circular behaviour is the focal point.
Antwerp is looking for circular solutions for its waste/materials, water and energy streams. While the dense urban context often puts spatial and regulatory constraints on the implementation of effective measures, density also helps creating the ideal social environment for community buy-in. The development of new residential districts such as ‘New South’ offers unique opportunities to guide a growing new community in co-creating their own local circular economy.
Outlined results and focuses
- Community building with data access for residents and developing circular living lab Reduction tap water, residual household waste, material use
- Replication among other district
- City of Antwerp (info to project)
- VITO–(info to project)
- Imec-highereducation and research institutes
- Digipolis- infrastructure and service